Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Being American: "The Crazy, Wet Mzungus" and Other Stories...

Every time I travel, I like to act as local as possible. (For proof, read this)

Maybe it's ridiculous, but it's my goal, when seen in public in another country, to be mistaken for a local. I adopt the walk, talk, clothing and food as if it were my own. 

However, this time around in Uganda, I've noticed myself repeatedly having "American" moments. 

Moments when I forget about the way Uganda time runs. 

Moments when I really, truly want to wear yoga pants. (Let the judging commence.)

Moments when I want to read a book, but power is not there and my Nook is not charged. 

I find myself feeling frustrated in these moments, catch myself, and then get frustrated for feeling frustrated. 

You know what to expect, Robin! I tell myself. You've lived here before, you know the culture and the customs, and sure, you've been away a while, but you've told the stories so often that you should remember!!

(Because that's valid logic.)

After a few frustrating experiences, a few breakdowns, and a few internal lectures, I finally remembered that I have to extend grace... to myself as well as everyone around me. 

Yes, I am American. It's great that I can adapt so well into other cultures, but it's also okay for me to enjoy those cultures from the perspective of my own. 

For example... the rainy season.

****

We are in the rainy season right now in Uganda. What that really means is a consistent, daily downpour (almost at the same time each afternoon and evening...like clockwork), and a perpetual power failure. 

Which brings me to today's story. 

The weather turns from a beautiful, sunny, partially cloudy morning into a downpour very quickly. Ashlie and I were at home this afternoon when the sky changed; we didn't think to start plugging things in... and the next thing we knew was a downpour and a power outage. 

And everything was dead. 

Phones. Computers. Nook. All dead. 

(This is where I experienced one of the aforementioned frustrating American moments. Oh, well, I'll just do some work. Nope, can't. Computer is dead. Oh, well, I'll just watch a movie. Nope, can't. Computer is dead. Oh, well, I'll just read a book. Nope, can't. Nook is dead. Ok, Robin, you're American. Your whole life apparently revolves around technology. What has happened to you?!)

There's a cafe across Gulu with a consistent generator schedule during power outages, free wifi, and good coffee... so as soon as the rain let up a bit, Ashlie and I decided to make a break for it. 

We packed up all of our electronics, donned raincoats (a recent investment which I'm currently very thankful for), and walked out of our little neighbourhood to flag down a boda. 

Culture note: most Ugandans "fear" the rain. They stay out of it as much as possible. Including boda drivers. 

Another culture note: there are few, very few paved roads in Gulu... and even the paved ones are covered in a significant amount of red dust... or mud, during rainy season. 

So Ashlie and I went on a puddle-jumping (jumping over puddles) adventure. 


This is the perfect example of being American and being okay with it. Sure, we stood out... we were laughing, leaping, splashing, cold, wet mzungus! Every time we passed a group of Ugandans huddled under a veranda, I could hear them saying things along the lines of, "Look at the crazy, wet mzungus!" But the laughter was well worth it. 


****

I'm still learning to extend grace to myself, to allow myself to be human, to be American, even. It's a muddy process... pun intended. ;) 

But the laughter (and the stories) are well worth it. I'm learning a lot, and leaning on God more than ever. 


Thank you everyone for the love and prayers! We've been here for a month this Saturday, and the journey is still just beginning. More stories, laughter, and updates to come. 

<3, Robin 



No comments:

Post a Comment