Monday, July 27, 2015

When it's Time to go Home

The past several months can't be summed up in a single word. 

I've learned a lot. I've seen the absolute best and worst of myself. I've discovered a need for Jesus like never before. I've rediscovered missions- real missions, and what that looks like practically. I've had to be responsible for other people in a whole new context, figure things out without the help of a volunteer program, and come to terms with my own culture and this halfway-familiar culture I now live in. 

There have been amazing highlights: I've gotten to reconnect with my friends and make new ones; I have built amazing relationships with my neighbors and their sweet children (I can tell the twins apart, and they no longer call me Melissa!); I got to introduce my best friend and my parents to the country that has my heart (such an amazing opportunity!); and I have gotten to lay the foundation for this ministry that God entrusted to me.

There have also been really hard times: saying goodbye to friends, struggling to explain this time of research and groundwork, fighting what has seemed to be an endless battle with certain required documents, and doing life largely on my own. I've learned that a lot of the expats here don't hold to the same standards in their faith that I do, and that's been an intense struggle for me. 

As best as I can possibly sum up, it's been really hard. 

The journey is not over, by any means, but I've done what I can do for now. The groundwork is laid, the documents are processing, and it's time for me to go home. There is much to be done from the US side: re-strategizing, regrouping, team-building, and refreshing. 

Saying goodbye is not easy, but it's not goodbye. Uganda is still home, and I'll be back before I know it. Louisiana is home, too, though. It's ok to have two. I'll go home to regroup, and I'll come home to move forward. 

I am so thankful for the grace upon grace that Jesus gives. 

<3, Robin 

P.S. I'll be home 9 August

No comments:

Post a Comment