Sunday, June 23, 2013

A rant...

This particular post has no real theme. You have been warned.

Today I did a lot of inward observation. I do this a lot, actually. Believe it or not, I'm actually an introvert. So today was one of those days where I needed some quiet to balance out being around so many people.

And here is what I learned.

In an unpredictable turn of events, I've become even more Western in a few ways since being here. For example: Back home, I would wear shirts and pants sometimes three times before washing them, depending on where I had worn them. That may gross some people out, but it never bothered me. I did the same with my bath towel. Here, though, I just feel like I cannot do that. 
I've come to terms with the fact that I smell. Always. And no matter what I do, I will continue to smell. Every night before bed, I lather up plenty of my Suave Mango Mandarin soap on my pretty pink loofa (yep), scrub until I'm red, and then apply and reapply deodorant. Despite all this effort, it's guaranteed that within a few hours, I will begin to smell again. It's a musky, B.O.-mixed-with-dirt smell. And yes, I have come to terms with this odor. 

However, because of this stink that is permanently on me, I cannot bring myself to re-wear clothes other than my pajamas. (That has been only out of necessity- I brought way more day-time clothes than night-time clothes). 

As I was thinking this over, I realized that I am surrounded day-in and day-out by people who may only have two or three outfits, and they certainly wear and re-wear. 

Maybe culture shock is setting in after all.

On the complete opposite end of the Western spectrum... I have quit using my face wash. There's no need for it here. The heat causes your pores to constantly clean themselves out, creating a clean, if slightly shiny, complexion. 

And if you know me well, you know that inward observation doesn't happen while I'm sitting still. No, never. In fact, it happens as I run around the three-square-foot bathroom chasing a mosquito to kill it before I shower. 

Rant is over for now. More observations, stories, and pictures to come. Love you all!

Love and prayers,
<3 Robin

2 comments:

  1. An insight I didn't expect to hear. Lol, Way to keep it real. ^_^ Love you Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I didn't expect it either ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete