Monday, July 15, 2013

Becoming a godmother... and other stories.

I had an eventful weekend, filled with ups and downs.

Friday was difficult. All morning there was a sense of urgency in the air as nannies, nurses and the staff of Bulrushes ran around between the nursery, the office, and the clinic pharmacy. I wasn't sure what was going on for a while, until around ten AM there was a loud cheering from the nursery.

"What happened?" I asked a nanny close by. 

"There has been a baby very, very sick in the nursery. He died a moment ago, but his heart beat has been restored." She sounded glad, but gladness mixed with the reservation that makes you pray despite apparent victory.

We prayed. We fought in prayer, and the staff fought medically, too. 

One of the staff informed us that shortly before noon, sweet baby had passed on. We were invited to see his swaddled body in a casket so small it shouldn't have to be built. Two weeks old, a preemie, barely the length of my forearm, and peacefully swaddled as if for a nap. I know he's safe in the arms of Jesus now.

***

Despite the tragedy the previous day, Saturday dawned with joy. It was an occasion Whitney and I had been waiting for...



Baby dedication!!

At orientation, we were told what baby dedication was. Every so often (I can't remember just how often), they take all the babies who had not been dedicated the last time to the church for the Saturday night service. The pastors pray over the babies, and we as volunteers get to stand with the baby of our choice as a "stand-in mom"- or as the supervisor told us, as a godmother. 

I squealed when she told us. Sure enough, as soon as the list of babies to be dedicated was listed on the bulletin board, I wrote my name down next to baby Andrew's. 

Andrew is the smallest of the babies in the age group called "Monkeys" (0-2 months). I don't know his story in full, and for his privacy I'll keep what I do know to myself. However, he is a sweet baby, tiny, always a worried expression on his face, and sometimes I can get him to smile. 

He's also a screamer and a puker, but thank God, he refrained from both Saturday night.

***

Today at work, another volunteer and I sorted through the babies' clothes in the Monkey Room. We rotated all their older, well-worn clothes to the back so that newer, nicer clothes could be worn more often, and then we counted out the eight cutest outfits. When the babies woke from their nap, we took them outside for bottles, and then we changed them into these cute outfits and I went camera crazy.






***

Oh! And of course, you'll want to know the milestone I've reached on this journey. Becoming a godmother was the biggest one, by far. Such an honour and such a responsibility. 

However, I've reached another:

As of yesterday, I've been in Uganda for a whole month. One down, four to go. Time flies far too quickly...

Prayer requests: that I use my time wisely as I switch to afternoon shift, for continued unity among all the volunteers, and continued prayer for my computer, please. 

Thank you, everyone! 

Love and prayers, 

<3, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment