Thursday, July 4, 2013

"Well done, Mama! You look smart!"

This is another cultural post. I have a little time before moving back to Kampala. ;)

The children here in Babies' Home call each of the nannies and each of the volunteers, including me, "mama." They are young enough that "mama" probably means "lady," "caretaker," or even possibly "person who might hold me or give me food." It probably doesn't mean "mother." Not with so many women acting in maternal roles everyday in their lives.
All the same, there's Jonah. He has a permanent expression of seriousness and observance, though I doubt he is older than two. 
Jonah is a snuggler, despite his solemn face. A few days ago, we sat on the sofa for the toddlers' movie treat. (That evening it was Tangled, and I think I enjoyed it more than the kids.) Jonah was snuggled up beside me, and I said, "I love you, Jonah!" 

"I love you, Mama." 


Heart broken. In half.

On another note, a group of the oldest toddlers (about three years old) all gathered right in front of the TV during "At Last I See the Light" and acted it out right along with Rapunzel and what's-his-name. They pretended to toss lanterns into the sky, and smooth their hair behind their ears, and it was super cute.

More cultural terms:

"Well done!"
This is a greeting, not a compliment. Let's say I'm sitting at a table at a coffee shop. You pass me. I say, "Well done!" You've done nothing but walk by me. This is the context in which this phrase is said here... and I'm still not sure how to reply. 

"... Thank you...?"

Finally:

"So smart!"

"Smart" is in reference to appearance here. If you are dressed very fancy, you look smart. For example, I bought a really cute pair of elephant-patterned "trousers" (see my last blog post) at the craft market a few weeks ago. Yesterday we visited the girl who had sold them to me, and she says, "Ohhh! You look so smart!" 


One more note. I brought my computer to be looked at yesterday, but the cost for a replacement battery was way too much and there's no guarantee that's the problem. However, your prayers are working. I haven't had a problem with the battery at all today. So... Keep up the prayers for my computer! Lol! 

Thank you all for the prayers and support!

Love and prayers,

<3 Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment