Thursday, September 12, 2013

Let's Catch Up, Shall We?

You should know, I'm in the middle of something big. I have an incredible blog post in the works; but because it's actually taking quite a bit of time and effort to post, I figured I could put one out in the meantime.

So let's catch up, shall we?

****

The monday after I first arrived in Gulu, in the middle of a four-day stretch of no power, I decided to call up Tony, one of our boda drivers, to pick me from our house. When he got here, I laid out my plan:

"Okay, Tony, I've been in Gulu since Thursday, but I've only seen Babies' Home, Uchumi (grocery), and Sankofa (coffee shop). Can you give me a tour?" 

Tony was the best driver I could have asked- he showed me everything! 



Typical, Ugandan-style hut



I love the sunflowers here! I asked to stop and take a photo, but I should have asked to stop and pick a few ;)




Oh, these Ugandan roads <3



Tony and his youngest baby


Tony's family


Tony brought me to visit several local organizations. First stop was Remnant (above), where the ladies, many of them former prostitutes, make screen t-shirts to generate income. 



Second stop, above, was Krochet Kids, where vulnerable women crochet hats and bags as a way to learn business skills and generate income. 




Stop three was Thirty-One Bits, another women's sustainability program where vulnerable women learn business skills and make beautiful beaded jewelry. 


Last stop was Invisible Children. I was actually only able to get an office tour on Monday, because most of their projects are on the field. So this past Tuesday...

****

This past Tuesday, my room mates and I, along with a few other friends here in Gulu, went to tour Mend- Invisible Children's holistic care program for women affected by the war. At Mend, the women make beautiful bags while they learn business skills and are able to get the holistic care they need. 




I bought the bag on the right. :)


Stephanie got to take a photo with the lady who made her bag! 

****

A few other highlights from the week:



Two of my babies from Bulrushes are here in Gulu with me! Pious, top photo, was extremely sick and tiny when I first arrived, and Leah, bottom, would not walk or talk at all, though she is a toddler. Now they are both making gibberish talk, both are healthy, Pious walks on his own and Leah walks if you hold her hand. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness! 

****




Yep, I got my hair did. Five movies and a half movies- TWELVE AND A HALF HOURS- later, my hair was complete, and although I'm glad I know how it looks and feels, I hated it. The full style lasted two days, and last night I took out quite a few of the plaits. Now that the hair at my hairline is loose, it actually is much better in both looks and feel, and I'll probably leave it as-is until it comes out on its own. 

****


This is Jeneth ("Janet"). Keep an eye out- she's in the next post! 

****

I apologize for the abruptness of this post, but now that you're caught up, I can focus on putting my effort into the next one. Thank you all for your love and prayers! I appreciate it more than you know!

Love, <3 Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment