Sunday, September 1, 2013

Oh, Rainy Days... (and 'Through Jackson's Eyes')



As I'm writing this, I'm quite stranded at a coffee shop with free wifi... I mean, I'm not complaining. 

Since about six o'clock last night, we have not had power at our house, which tends to be a common occurrence in Gulu. It's not bad. We still have light during the day, and I haven't had air conditioning in almost three months anyway. During the night we use candles, and the only downside is not being able to charge anything. 

Which is why I came to the coffee shop. 

It's my day off, and I had originally planned to take a boda around Gulu to get a feel for where everything is. However, Jack (our trusted boda driver) is unavailable today; and now with the rain, I'm quite thankful I'm not on a boda. 

Perfect time to tell some more culture things :) 

****
If you need to go to the grocery for anything, you are going to "pick" it. For example, I'm going to the grocery later to pick some juice. 
I'm going to come home not knowing any American lingo anymore. I've gained an up-speak. What is that?! I say words like "pick," "sorry," "eh," "mmm," and I use the metric system. I no longer speak in dollars, miles, or Fahrenheit, and I'm slightly concerned that no one will understand me when I return. Lol. 

****

I went to church last night at Watoto Church, Gulu. It's considerably smaller than Central in Kampala, but I like the close, intimate feel. We played classic hymns for worship, which I loved. 

(Allow me to interrupt myself with this observation: as I type this cultural blog at a free wifi coffee shop, two roosters suddenly strut across the yard in the above picture, dodging the now-slowing raindrops. #stishbiu)

The pastor talked about tithes and offerings last night, which, in America at least, is a commonly tuned-out sermon. Here in Uganda, though, I quickly gained a new perspective. Money in general can be a tricky subject here, as many people spend what they earn day-to-day in order to survive. Few have savings, because they see no future for which to save. 

Talking about tithes and offerings, then, was interesting. The pastor made the point that, of course, when you tithe you are not giving but returning what already belonged to God. 

"Tithing is not offering a bargain for protection, healing, or anything else you desire," the pastor said. "That is what you do at a witch doctor's. That is witchcraft."

Oh, snap.

****

Finally, I want to share something that has been repeatedly on my heart. A friend and I have been asking each other creative questions as a way to get to know each other. We've asked some really funny questions and really serious questions, but the point is that you don't just ask the obvious, "What's your favourite colour?" 

My favourite question so far has been, "If you could be anyone for a day (like a type of person rather than a specific person), who would you be?"

After some consideration, my answer was a special needs child. 

At Babies' Home in Kampala, we have several special needs children, and I have fallen in love with them. There is one in particular that stole my heart a few weeks ago.

Jackson is about four years old, Autistic among a few other conditions, and is the world's most generous high-fiver. If he wanted to become president, his campaign would be high-fiving people. He will sit in your lap and high-five you until your palms are red, and he will just be getting started. 

Jackson doesn't talk, but if he could, I want to know what he would say. I want to know how he sees the world and the people in it. I want to know what Jackson thinks when he gives his amazing high-fives.
 Is that the way he loves people? 
What does he feel when people high-five him back? 
What does he feel when, inevitably, people are queasy around him? 

I want to know how Jackson sees Jesus; I know Jesus will always high-five Jackson. 

Sometimes, I think the best way to love the "least of these" and the best way to "be like Jesus" is to high-five a special needs child. 

I might never see through Jackson's eyes, but Lord, I pray to see through Jesus'. 


<3, Robin





1 comment:

  1. Expect high fives in place of eyebrow-signs, which had previously replaced the verbal usage of words, such as "yes" or "no" or "mister".

    ReplyDelete