Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Ahh! You're back!

The wind rushed through my hair, leaving it crazy, stringy, and...yep, just crazy. I grinned at the people we passed, and their faces read, "Look at the crazy mzungu lady attempting side-saddle on a boda." I was dressed up for church service, and straddling the boda was not about to happen, so yes, this crazy mzungu sat side-saddle. There was something about whisking past the buildings, people and other cars through the busy streets of Kampala that made me feel like a wild woman... in the best possible way. 

(insert "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar" here)

*****

As we raced through toward the church, I felt an awareness that I am no longer just a tourist or a visitor to this country. This is now my home, my country, in a sense. I am home. 

There have been several times now that I have walked into familiar places, and I am greeted by a familiar face turning surprised and exclaiming, "Ahh! You're back!" The ladies at a grocery store in Kampala, Lucy at one of the craft market booths, and Tony, a boda driver here in Gulu, all remembered me. Such an amazing feeling, to know that almost two years later, my sweet friends still remember me. 

*****

We attended Watoto Church Central (now called Watoto Downtown) Sunday morning. Many things have changed, but it was such a joy to worship Jesus with my Watoto family! I've also gotten to catch up briefly with my friends, Fred (from the volunteer department) and Calvin and Shirley (from 360). 



*****

After a few days in Kampala, Ashlie and I traveled up to Gulu yesterday. The drive to Gulu is six hours, so we slept for most of it. 

We are staying with a girl called Melissa, who is the director of a Christian school here in Gulu. We live in a small, western-style house in a compound surrounded by Acholi huts. It's tucked away, quiet, peaceful, and best of all, not next to BJs. 

(Last time I lived in Gulu, our house was a block over from a pub called BJs, where they play the most obnoxious music at all hours of the night. All. Hours.) 

I'm thankful Ashlie is here. She's adapting well to Ugandan culture, weather, and time. She reminds me a lot of myself my first time here, very adventurous and willing to try anything. Last night she had her first sample of bo, a spinach-like leaf steamed with peanut sauce... an interesting combination. 






*****

There is much work to do. As soon as our help in Kampala is available, we will travel back down to begin the paperwork for registering an NGO in Uganda. In the meantime, we will begin the scouting and researching that we must do here in Gulu in order to make the connections necessary for Wajumbe. 



There are exciting days ahead! It's still surreal that I'm back in Uganda... I'm back home. 

<3

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your time there in Uganda! So excited for you that you are back and cannot wait to see the updates and hear more about your life there! So excited and proud of you, Robin!

    ReplyDelete