Sunday, October 27, 2013

Jesus Sends Me Love-Notes

Today is my last day in Gulu. 

As you can imagine, I'm heartbroken. In service this morning, my emotions went crazy somewhere between worship and the announcement video. I had to say goodbye to people, and I hate goodbyes. 

On the way home from church, I stopped at the grocery to grab something quick for lunch. As I approached the bakery to see if they had samosas, three little girls walked up to me, each holding a fistful of flowers. They stretched their little bouquets up to me, not saying a word but smiling shyly as little girls will. At first I just smiled back and commented on how beautiful they were, but as they continued to reach them up to me, I realized that they were giving me these flowers. 

I don't know where the flowers came from, and I don't know where the little girls got the idea of giving flowers to a Mzungu lady at the grocery, but something inside me just knew. 

These were from Jesus. 

Each of the little girls shoved her fistful of flowers into my open hand and ran away.

A large group of people was standing in line at the bakery, and they watched the whole scene. The adults smiled at me knowingly, and one by one told me, "They just like you!" 

As I stepped into the check-out line, the little girls stood ahead of me, waiting on their older sisters to make their purchases. 

I couldn't resist the moment. 



They told me their names: Michella (left), Lisa (center), and Laura (right). 

With a wave and of course, a piece of chocolate for each of them, I thanked them again and told them good bye. 

And on the way home, I said thank you to Jesus. He sent me flowers through three beautiful little girls just to make my day better, to make a hard goodbye an even fonder farewell. 



Oh, Gulu town. How I will miss you. 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment