Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sure, We'll Call This Gumbo


What do you call it when you have a little bit of everything? Miscellaneous? Diversity? Gumbo? 

Sure, we'll call this gumbo. 

After all, in seventeen days I'll back in the great state of Louisiana. 

What you're about to read is gumbo, a little bit of everything, served over rice. 

****

I'm sorry, I must have blanked out for a sec... did I just type that I have SEVENTEEN days left in Uganda?! 

Oh, dear.

****

The past two weeks have been a blur, filled with:
spontaneous trips to Kampala for a week full of meetings, 

the concentrated group effort toward putting together new programs for Baby Watoto, 

the failed attempt of making chapati and getting hot-oil burns instead, 

getting called brown for the second time in my life, 

keeping a watchful eye on all this al Shabab stuff going on, 

discovering that soaked chick peas will sprout if you forget to cook them,

learning to drive a boda-boda (yes, you read that correctly), 

becoming a godmother again,

more time-juggling as my countdown grows smaller and smaller, 

more dreaming as the future gets closer and closer, 

and more praying for my computer than ever before.

All of the above I'll eventually get around to blogging about. I hope. 

****

I have a legitimate prayer request. 

Three weeks. That's all I'm asking: for my computer to survive three weeks until I can get home and back everything up. The poor old thing is dying a slow and painful death, which I knew before I came here, but I thought it would last a bit longer. It already can't live without being connected to a charger, thanks to its swim back in July, and now it's starting crashing for no reason, particularly in the middle of Skype with my parents, saving a document for Babies' Home, or something of equal importance. 

So, dear prayer warriors, I'm asking you to add my computer to your prayer list. 

I really, really appreciate it. 
 ****

The realization has hit me. I have just over two weeks left in this place which, truthfully, has become my home. I've chosen to come to terms with this, the idea of leaving my home, and I'm actually getting excited to see everyone. It's like the feeling you get when you're about to go on vacation- time to relax, see everyone, eat good food, breathe in humidity, and then return home. 

Because, of course, at the end of vacation, you do return home.

How could I do anything else? 


****

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support throughout these five months. It's not yet over, so keep an eye out for more stories. 

Greater things are still to come. 
<3, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment