Monday, August 12, 2013

The Rest of This Weekend... and other stories

I wanted to give Abraham his own blog post, and if you read it, you know why. It was one of the most special days of my life, and all these other stories can make some room. ;)

****
Friday night, after spending the afternoon with Abraham and touring the Food for the Hungry sustainability projects, we returned to a local inn called, "Noah's Ark Hotel- Where Great People Live!" 

I actually passed a great night there. After eating with Emma and Moses, I slept ten blissful hours in a room by myself for the first time in two months. 

The next morning after breakfast, Moses met Emma and I and took us to Sipi Falls, just a few kilometers from the hotel. It flows off Mount Elgon at the Uganda-Kenya border, is 100 meters tall, and coupled with a view spanning most of the horizon, is absolutely breathtaking. 



Moses on the left, Emma on the right




We enjoyed a soda and the view for a bit, then left Sipi Falls. We parted with Moses after several expressions of gratitude and well wishing. 

My form of good bye has changed here. Instead of "Good bye, nice meeting you, have a nice life!" It has become, "May the Lord bless you and keep you," quoting Numbers 6:24. Not to be overly "Christianese" but simply because if I must leave them, I want to leave the friends I meet here speaking words of blessing and promise over their lives. 

After saying our good byes, Emma and I started the long road to Kampala. We made one last detour, however:



When we first passed through Jinja headed out to Kitany, Emma asked me if I had seen the Source of the Nile yet. When I answered no, he promised to take me on our way back. Sure enough,  we ate lunch at the Source of the Nile Resort and followed by dipping our toes in the Nile itself. 

"Imagine that whole thing turned to blood!" My roommate exclaimed when I got home. Sure, that was in Egypt, but who knows? It may have extended to the whole Nile. We may never know until we get to Heaven, but in the mean time we get to use our imaginations. 

****
Sunday after church I made the spontaneous decision to spend my afternoon at a coffee shop reading. I started reading a book recommended by, well, everybody. At least everyone here in Uganda. Lol. It's called "Love Does" and it's about putting love to action in intriguing ways. Definitely worth reading. I couldn't put it down and finished it in two afternoons.

Anyway, I went to a cafe not far from my house called 1,000 Cups. Grabbing a couch and a cappuccino, I dived headfirst into this book. 

And then the Mzungus started in. 

I literally met like six groups of people.

There was the group of Brits from a hostel. There were the Irish people doing volunteer work with a local charity. There were the Americans from the Peace Corp starting their own organization. And finally, there was the group from Skate Church in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

The past few years, Skate Church is a place my Master's Commission has visited on tour. They partner with a Ugandan ministry called "Come, Let's Dance." I know a few people from that church who have actually come to Uganda with this ministry, but I didn't think I'd run into that group while I was here. Although I didn't know anyone in the group, we had friends in common, and we both realized quickly what a small world we live in.

****
An update on Baby Girl:
After she went to the hospital about two weeks ago, the doctors changed her medicine and our nurses monitored her carefully. Praise God, the last two days she has not had a single seizure. She is making efforts toward walking, is responding to her name, and when you talk to her she will vocalize sounds. Life fills her eyes as she plays like a normal child, and I am believing for a complete and total healing of this little girl.

****
Finally, an interesting story.

Today I worked in Clinic with Baby Girl and a few others. While we were outside playing, Bruce (the one guy caretaker we have at Bulrushes- he works with the Special Needs kids) brought out a little girl I didn't recognize and set her down by the slide. "She's new," he said. "She's here to play with you guys!"
I asked her name, but Bruce didn't know it. I had Baby Girl on my lap and another child hanging on my arm, so I just observed the new little girl for a bit. 

She's dark, like the colour of coffee before you add milk, and absolutely beautiful. About two years old, she walks on her own and feeds herself. However, she's new to Bulrushes, and the look of terror and confusion was always in her eyes. She didn't move from her spot by the slide until finally I walked over.

I held out my hands to her, and as she looked at me I got chills. I saw the pain of rejection in her eyes. I saw the fear of the future and the fear of abandonment. I saw distrust and doubt. 

But as she took my outstretched hands, I felt the whisper of the Holy Spirit. "She is like Esther. Although an orphan, she will be taken in, and she will be a future leader of her people 'for such a time as this.'"

I scooped the little girl into my arms, and she sat in my lap for the rest of the day.

Another volunteer later told me, and our supervisor, Vicky, confirmed it.

"Her name is Esther."

<3

****


Thank you, everyone, for the love and prayers. I've almost officially been here for two months, and I'm loving every minute of it. 

<3, Robin




No comments:

Post a Comment