Thursday, August 22, 2013

This Journey is My Own

In coming to Uganda, I've made so many friends from all over the world. I quite literally I have at least one friend, if not several, on every continent. 

However, there comes a day when you exchange email addresses and hugs and say, "See you later." Unfortunately, their time is finished, and yours continues. 


Home is not a place, and home is not people. 

Home is Jesus. 

That's all it can be. 

****

"I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less travelled by
and that has made all the difference." 
-The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost

****

I say unfortunately, but it actually is a beautiful thing when your road crosses mine. I got to know you and the beautiful path you are on. Your stride, terrain and equipment are all drastically different from mine; although we met in a common ground, our paths wind in separate directions before they meet in our common destination. Your path will cross others'; so will mine. Your path will take you to different sights and sounds; mine will do the same. To meet in this common ground is an opportunity to celebrate where we've been and where we're going... and where we will both end up someday. 

When our paths separate, it is sad, but also temporary and actually necessary. Once we've met, we will pray for each other and be encouraged by the things we have in common and the things that we don't. 

It's not an easy lesson to learn, but this journey that I am on is not yours. It's my own, and I've been privileged to cross paths with so many beautiful people. So I'll exchange email addresses and hugs, and then adjust my backpack and keep climbing these mountains. I will encourage you, and you will encourage me, and we will celebrate each other and the biggest thing we have in common:

Bringing glory to God, the purpose of this journey. 


<3, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment