Sunday, August 4, 2013

"You might be paranoid!" and other stories...

*insert Jo-Bro song here*

Today has been interesting, to say the least. It feels like the entire African/Arab world is holding its breath, waiting to see what will come from this al Qaeda stuff going on. 

Now let me give a disclaimer before anyone freaks out: I'm really not in danger. More so than I might be at home, maybe; but I'm also a lot safer here than I would be in neighbouring countries. It's really strange hearing these things from a new perspective. Back home, I'd say, oh wow, that's crazy, moving on. But now these are my neighbours. To some extent, this does affect me. The biggest concern that we've had is the U.S. Embassy shutting its doors for the weekend, plus the end of a Muslim holiday is apparently this week. So basically the protocol is to be cautious and not volunteer my nationality to strangers (which is wisdom in the first place). 

So after church today, Whit and I were as paranoid as we could possibly be. A kid's balloon popped; where was the bomb?! What's in that man's back pack? Why did he take it off? Why are those joggers running? Why are they looking at us? Why are the streets so empty?

No seriously, it's eerie today. No traffic, few people at Garden City, fewer people walking on the streets... It's like the whole world is just waiting.

Another disclaimer: most of these paranoid questions were pulled out of the air as we walked to Garden City to buy Whitney more internet. We laughed and practiced every accent we knew (and even some we didn't know), in effort to "disguise" our nationality, and we came up with every worst-case scenario and what our plan of action would be. And then we sang Jonas Brothers' "Paranoid": "I make the most of all this stress. I try to live without regrets, but I'm about to break a sweat. I'm freaking out... Every time I turn around, something don't feel right. Just might be paranoid!" 

(Shout out to Meg, Neeva, and Aunt Lane. Jo-Bro Concert 2009 :) 

All the same, joking and paranoia aside, pray for the African/Arab world right now (and not just because I'm in it). No weapon formed against us shall prosper. I know the presence of the Living God is here. He hems me in, behind and before; He has laid His hand upon me. Pray that peace will be here, but especially for Yemen, Libya, Somalia, Egypt, and other Muslim countries; also pray for the D.R. Congo, next door to Uganda, where some political issues are going to be handled later this week.
***
On to other news. ;)

On Friday I got to write!! I spent most of the day writing some of the babies' stories and creating binding titles for their files. I got the privilege of knowing some of the more confidential details to these precious children's lives, something I do not at all take lightly. 

Each story is so unique. They each have their own horror of abandonment, abuse, and desperation; however each story continues. 
Because Jesus had His hand on them.
Because He writes their story.
Because He has greater plans for them than abandonment, abuse, and desperation. 

Praise God for His goodness. 

Jill liked my writing, and it looks like I might get to write more often. I'm so excited and so thankful to be doing something I love so much for the glory of God.

***
I also got to check on Baby Girl on Friday. The medication she is on is helping. She is showing improvement, and only had two seizures during the time I was with her. (I know that sounds like a lot still, but compared to the amount that she was having, I'd say this is a fantastic improvement.) Also, she made sounds when I talked to her. Not any words, but then again, she's only a year old. Please keep praying for her. 

***
Yesterday during lunch, some of the nannies and staff turned on the TV to a political event. I really didn't understand what was happening, but I know it involved the Bugandan king. (Buganda is one of the biggest tribes here.) I asked the nanny, nurse, and Ronnie (our driver) if they were Bugandan, and they all answered yes. I jokingly replied, "Oh, I am, too." Whitney added, "I'm Acholli, and I even have an Acholli name! Robin, you need a Bugandan name!"

The three Bugandans thought about it, and then Mama Cathy said, "Kirabo. It means gift." 

Kirabo. This is my new Bugandan name :) Pronounced Chee-RAH-bo.


***
Thank you everyone for your love and support! 

<3, Robin, Robinah, Kirabo

No comments:

Post a Comment