Saturday, August 10, 2013

Visiting Abraham

Even before I left to come to Uganda, I knew that this weekend would be one of the highlights of my whole trip. 

Oh, boy, was I right. 

See, last summer I had a time of seeking God for what more He had for me. I heard Him tell me to be a giver, to be willing to make sacrifices that other people would know Him as Lord. So I began sponsoring Abraham. It was just two short weeks later that my job was cut; but the Lord provides. He led me to Watoto, and He led me to a job that would both sponsor Abraham and help me to save for Uganda. 

I've sponsored Abraham for over a year now. Neighbours used to chuckle at me when I received a letter from him in the mail. I would go skipping back to my apartment, tearing the envelope open before I'd even reached my door. Every letter and picture means the world to me. 

Yesterday morning, Emma (Food for the Hungry's coordinator here in Uganda) picked me up here in Kampala and we headed east to Kitany village. It was about a six hour drive, not counting stops, and by the time we got there we were about three kilometers from the Kenyan border. It was cold and the sky threatened rain. 

We picked up Moses (the local coordinator for Kitany village) and finally reached Abraham's village. Upon arrival, I got out of the van and greeted a large group of children that were waiting for us on top of the slope. Giggling impatiently, they started pushing a boy toward us, yelling, "Abraham! Abraham!"

The child ran down the slope and straight into my arms.
<3
My eyes watering, my heart exploding, I took the little hand offered to me and followed Abraham to his hut halfway up the hill. 


Abraham doesn't speak speak much English, so it was a little awkward at first. Thankfully, we had brought a translator, and she helped Abraham and I to talk a bit. It was Abraham's birthday, and he is now ten years old. I gave him stickers and Dum-Dum lollipops, and then had to show him how to use the stickers. 



Abraham had brought all of his friends to his home to see me when I came. None of them spoke English really, so we had to be very creative in how we communicated. The moment it started getting awkward, I pulled out my iPhone and thanked God for the technology that allows children to see themselves making funny faces in a picture.







We did that for quite a while actually, and then we started singing and dancing and playing games. You'd be surprised how entertaining the "Hoky-Poky," "If You're Happy and You Know It," and even the "Chicken Dance" can be. 



I knew this weekend would be one of the highlights of my trip.

It absolutely was. 

<3, Robin


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful blog. Your daddy was correct, grab a tissue. To meet the child you've sponsored...a true blessing. THANK YOU for walking the walk and talking the talk, all in the name of God.

    You"ve only met me once or twice at church, I'm a bit shy, but I'm so proud of you and to know you. Keep listening...you are interpreting His messages very well. God bless and keep you!

    Taina like China in Lafayette

    ReplyDelete